Skip to main content

Please Don't Pass the Potatoes

 Every now and then, I feel like I might be losing my identity.  It started innocently enough today while I was in my 8th hour of splitting wood this weekend. I was listening to the Splendid Table podcast episode 758: Summer Parties with Nicole A. Taylor.  She is the author of the new cookbook, Watermelon and Red Birds and also The Up South Cookbook: Chasing Dixie in a Brooklyn Kitchen.

Her segment was on the foods of Juneteenth and took a turn into southern potato salad. Her enthusiasm for this beloved side dish came through with a fireworks-ish delivery. She points out that the supreme potato salad-making artist is a "special person" who can read flavors off the back of their hand. "And it always tends to be that very special person that's super funny, or super stylish, they have a personality because potato salad is its  own conversation and it tends to match that person." She sold me on the idea that if I go somewhere and I hear people asking, "who made the potato salad?" Then I will know that I am in the presence of that "special person".

Ms Taylor, after hearing you describe how you create your potato salad, I believe I would have a difficult time not trying it.  This is where the conflict begins.  Potatoes and I, well to put it lightly, things have not been good.   My parents tried SO hard to get me to eat potatoes.  My father, unstoppable when determined could not win in the battle to get me to eat this starch at any age.  I was raised in the age before microwaves.  In the early 70's you were not American unless you served potatoes at seemingly every meal. I was not allowed to get up from the table, until the potatoes were gone, which meant, I never left the table, until bedtime.  This was before microwaves, so in the morning, the cold plate of potatoes was placed before me for reconsideration.  I did not yield.

My father told the story of the period of time in which I seemed to be eating the potatoes.  At least that is what he thought until the kitchen developed an odor. We had those old chrome leg, vinyl-covered kitchen chairs that were popular in the 1950s.  Ours had cracks in the vinyl, which to a young person like me, offered a rare opportunity.  In retrospect, my father was pretty proud of me for my creativity.  At the time, I am sure there was probably some good old-fashioned spanking.

Flash forward to 1979, we were living on James street in Bristol CT and my wonderful mom had been making a homemade beef stew from scratch.  A jar fell off the back of the stove and broke in the stew pot.  Because of the broken glass, we threw away the stew and drove down to the McDonalds in Bristol center and ate in the Dodge.  At the time, I felt it was the best thing ever since the stew contained potatoes.  The ungrateful fourteen-year-old self that I was, rejoiced. If you are reading this Mom, I am sorry.  I know you worked hard to make that stew.  It was a Thursday night and you worked all day.  I appreciate both, the homecooked meal and the fast food.

People still just cannot understand how significant this is for me.  Even social media cannot comprehend my unique, by which I mean "correct" perspective.  How many times on Facebook do I see one of those inane scorecards that list like 50 foods and you have to count 1 point for every food you hate, except, there are NO POTATOES listed on this scorecard!  It is starting to feel political now! Because of this, I tend to score zero on these.

In a coffee pals survey at work, we were asked the question, "If you could only eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?" My manager answered "Shepherds Pie".  It struck me as funny because his favorite basically is my definition of hell.

After years of marriage, my own wife called me weird last night and gave me that speech that I have heard a thousand times about how "I have never met anyone before you who does not like potatoes." The years of resistance still not sinking in.  Is this that difficult to comprehend?  I have been pretty straightforward about this, well except for that strange Cravin's incident in 2010.

In June of 2010, my son Noah returned to the ICU for 10 days, 18 months after his big stay there at the hospital for aesthema-related treatment. I went down to Cravin's store in the hospital food court area to get lunch for Donna and I.  Donna stopped after the first bite of her mashed potatoes with a look of surprise.  "Wow!  These potatoes are great!" "Like that can happen" I murmured under my breath.  "No, seriously!  You need to try these!"  Something about her drive on this subject made me think, "I probably won't die!"

The next thing I know, I assimilated the taste and texture (both of which I was born to hate), and then I took another.  "I actually don't hate this!"  2 more spoonfuls.  "I might actually like these." Suddenly, Rod Serling was standing there facing the camera talking about a man who had just taken a hard right turn, into the Twilight Zone. "I feel like everything I ever knew was wrong!" Donna definitely enjoying my joining the potato drones of the world.

Later when I inquired about the potatoes at the store I found out they came from one of those Sysco food service squeeze bags.  I felt so violated until I talked with another guy at the store later on who assured me some serious "doctoring-up" was happening to make them taste like they did.  

I don't know who that guy was from temporary insanity land that day, but I can tell you now, he scared me.  If you can't trust yourself.

I know the struggle to help people understand that I must come from a parallel universe in which potatoes either do not exist or they are an invasive species.  Because even tonight, Donna asked me if I wanted a potato pancake that she engineered from leftover mashed potatoes.  I declined of course.

I can honestly say that I cannot remember ever tasting potato salad. I am sure that I was forced to perhaps in a dental-style chair with belts restraining me, or was that a dream.  Anyway, Nicole A. Taylor your description of potato salad, the people who make it, the art that it is, and most profoundly, your potato salad, I promise to try your recipe if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you.  I may be from a potato-hating parallel universe, but what could possibly stand against the heart and soul of what you described when talking about potato salad.

Until then, please don't pass the potatoes.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...

The thin line between hiking and cooking

   I knew I should have prepped the cabbage last night. Instead of razor-thin shavings of bright green cabbage, I opened the cooler and there they were, two green bowling balls without the holes. But, hey, I am good with a knife. I am not stupid-fast, more like efficient. I got this. My one-hour lunch excursion into the culinary burst of what I view Fight4Taste to mean could happen. Right? All along there was a song playing in the background, come on Gen-X sing it if you know it..."A THREE HOUR TOURRRRRRRR!" Once the cabbage is shredded, it is evident I am in that episode of the Twilight Zone in which time is moving at 6 times its natural speed. I note to myself, that the next time my hands are clean, there is an important call that I need to make. I step off the curb to work on the rest of the build and then, I am again transported 37 minutes into the future. If I were home, the projections meet the reality and simply translate into a hungry family eating later, a kitchen be...