Skip to main content

Put that in your YouTube and smoke it..... I mean that supportively

Thank you YouTube,you just saved me a ton of investigative work. The snow has got to melt sometime...if new snow ever stops falling.  So the mad dash for gearing up is well under way in 2018. We have to backpack this year with all of this investing going on.  But what about food? I have plenty of books that tell you how to make Trail meals. But those do not really have practical application in their entirety. There is a 10% return Factor on those things, and which you can apply something that you learn from them into something that you were doing. But that is about it. So we cannot all afford Mountain House meals for every meal as they average about $10 a meal. So last year when I bombed out with Lipton and knor pasta sides, I wondered what to do next. Should I dehydrate all my own food? Should I find something else? Thankfully I found good instructions and cooking the times are adjusted to cozy cooking times. I also learned the cozy cooking almost never works with noodle sides, but does with rice sides.
So I tried it. The Rice Side said to cook 7 minutes. I boiled a cup of water, then dumped that and half of the pasta side into my Coleman cookpot, added brocolli I dehydrated and covered with my double pot cozy. Let sit for 14 minutes (double the package instructions) and then dropped cut up spam cubes in with it. Let sit in the cozy for 4 more minutes. This was the final outcome and it was delicious, aside from needing a little black pepper. I can tell you it was definitely everything a mountain house meal would be. Texture was perfect.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

As You Lie There

 I am sick and tired of inaction. I am calling myself out. I have a well-tested talent for creating delicious food, and I stop short of the starting line. How many years will I allow this to slide by? I really cannot do it anymore. So I have questions, observations, and projections.  I say, no more! Playing it safe does not pay the bills and is not fair to my desire to make something of this. Yeah, there are hoops to jump through. Anything worthwhile is like that. Insurance and permits, fees, and, of course, the biggest of them all, food safety. Yes, I am willing to do everything.  The Boys of Dungeon Lane was released yesterday. It is Paul McCartney's 27th album release since the Beatles ended. This man has played the notes of my soul every decade of my life. Just like learning from a family of 8 hiking the Appalachian Trail, or a Mom with 15 bio kids doing the same, Paul's determination, knowing that he still has more to do, is incredibly inspiring.  I am by no mea...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...