Skip to main content

Dear Mike Volume 01


Dear Mike,


I am thinking about getting an Instant Pot. Other colors were a lot more
expensive, so I'm good with the cheaper color. Does it really matter? 


Unless that color adds a
certain special spice to everything you cook that makes it taste like it came
from your favorite restaurant or food truck.


Maybe I need to research how
color affects your instapot, crockpot, and kitchen-aid mixer and what comes out
of them.

Thanks,


Amber from Sunapee.








Dear Amber,




For years, in the military.  When PT time
came around, I always tied the 5 foot long dark green army wool scarf around my
head as a headband, ninja style and talked with exaggerated mouth movements
like in the old Bruce Lee movies (like Jones on Police Academy). It was just my
thing.  Everyone in my unit expected it.  It was my normal.   Many
years later, we are stupidly running in the dark, as a unit, before the sun
rose, like a bunch of idiots on a Sunday morning.  We have a brand new 1st
Sargent.  As I run up alone side of him, he asks me in a very harsh tone,
“What’s that thing on your head soldier?” To which I very forcefully replied,
“It makes me run faster, 1st Sargent!”





What is the significance?  I think if that
scarf can make one run faster and put run of the mill Army dorks in their
place, then perhaps the color of your Instant Pot COULD affect the flavor of
your meals…





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

As You Lie There

 I am sick and tired of inaction. I am calling myself out. I have a well-tested talent for creating delicious food, and I stop short of the starting line. How many years will I allow this to slide by? I really cannot do it anymore. So I have questions, observations, and projections.  I say, no more! Playing it safe does not pay the bills and is not fair to my desire to make something of this. Yeah, there are hoops to jump through. Anything worthwhile is like that. Insurance and permits, fees, and, of course, the biggest of them all, food safety. Yes, I am willing to do everything.  The Boys of Dungeon Lane was released yesterday. It is Paul McCartney's 27th album release since the Beatles ended. This man has played the notes of my soul every decade of my life. Just like learning from a family of 8 hiking the Appalachian Trail, or a Mom with 15 bio kids doing the same, Paul's determination, knowing that he still has more to do, is incredibly inspiring.  I am by no mea...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...