The Eclipse


The calm before the storm. Got coffee and a campfire on a beautiful Monday morning. It's late August now and, well, we all know the ride that is ahead. August for me represents change at different times of my life. 1979, a thriving Montfort road in Maine is instantly a ghost town and everyone walks away. 1974, the home I always knew changed suddenly and my parents who had been separated for a year and a half suddenly in this incredible conversation that was not even them, got back together. 78, that 13 year old crossover. Big coming of age changes in Sept/Oct, but in August you could feel them coming. When I used to write poetry some 35 years ago I had a term for this feeling: "in season, on the wind".





In 82, August’s gravity was very strong on Chucks Circle in front of a campfire.





In 83 I knew I was Texas bound. Can I ever imagine who I would be and the regret in my heart if I had not done that?





August 86, as my migratory plan to leave Texas began.





August 87 my decision to move to NH came like the crashing of meteor. In one weekend, well, one moment lives changed for so many people. I cannot get over the pivotal moment effect.





August 88. That moment you realize that sometimes you have to do something crazy to find your new normal and welcome to New Hampshire.





August 89 catacalismic changes, craziest period ever of my life, well, maybe equal to 1987, only this time I was on a speeding ship that was coming apart and was on fire at the same time. It is funny how one cold Budweiser hitting you in the side of the head at 50 miles per hour can lead to finding yourself.





August 1990, huge storm was brewing and I knew by August 6th before long I would be in the Middle East.





August91, I took over the North Walpole Adams TV, a period of calm and stability followed. 





August 93, another pivotal day, of course nothing could ever out do 1987. But on this one day, I chose a fork in the road opposite of the way I was intending to go. The alternate reality speculation often bothers me and I wonder if my Father would have lived longer, if I chose the path leading me to Texas.





August 99, had this weird feel to it, I could feel something really big over the hill. Like a slow motion explosion, events unfolded and by August 2000 much had happened and the final explosion was about to happen. 





In 2001, another change was coming for sure. Starting my family that would result in Liam and Noah being born. 





August 06, RA setting in, that was fun.





August 10, new career.





Today, eclipse is approaching, moving workstations at work imminent. The fire, the coffee, so quiet before the storm of activity.

Comments

Popular Posts