Skip to main content

Democracy is coming


 It's coming from the feel

That it ain't exactly real

Or it's real, but it ain't exactly there

-Leonard Cohen, Democracy 1992



It has been like that lately. There are many points of focus and there are distractions too. Echos of Another Earth seem normal these days. I hesitated to make popcorn one day because I knew where that could lead. I knew it needed to be done, and that symbolically, it represents my whole business plan.  Like Ike and Tina knocking out Proud Mary, it starts out nice and easy, and then...well you know.

I heard others talk about it. They got their cooking out into the open and then it took on a life of its own. I acknowledge that what I have is just a small flame that could easily be blown out with a gust of wind, and I also understand that it could start a wildfire.

It is the escalation that I want to understand. I know that in any undiscovered country, there are things that simply do not count. It is through the making of simple mistakes that the greatest education comes. Balancing the learning exercises while navigating around the sinkholes of needless time sucks is what takes discernment.

I made Kimchi this weekend. I have made Kimchi for many years now. I have been pretty consistent in doing so. Last time, right around the beginning of this year, I changed things up due to gaining more education, I decided to move out of my comfort zone. In doing so, I made some of the best kimchi I have ever made. 4 months later, my perception of how I made this was somewhat distorted. For the first time, I made a batch of kimchi that I didn't like. As far as I am concerned it is way out of balance.

Because this is for a project I am working on, I will need to make another quickly. <sigh>

I spent most of the weekend working in the kitchen, reading and testing. I changed up the music, most interestingly a Partridge Family playlist. I have some extremely diverse playlists (excluding country of course) for cooking. This was particularly fun although I think it is a once in so many years sort of thing.

Mixing things up is what it is all about though. The thing that made January's Kimchi so good was adding miso paste to it, which definitely crosses some lines. For my up-and-coming project which leans heavily in a Korean direction, I am creating a sweet and savory miso sauce for the palate that does not want spice. Again, mixing it up. Blurring the lines is what is happening here. I can feel the definition, it is significant. Like the revealing of a host of new planets, we are crossing a threshold. In the hour before sunrise, I can only imagine what the landscape looks like. 

It is knowing what needs to happen and what can be avoided. Knowing me, despite my best efforts, you will probably catch me hammering a few square pegs into round holes, it is unavoidable. Again, my friend Leonard said it best:

"But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
That time cannot decay

I'm junk but I'm still holding up
This little wild bouquet"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

As You Lie There

 I am sick and tired of inaction. I am calling myself out. I have a well-tested talent for creating delicious food, and I stop short of the starting line. How many years will I allow this to slide by? I really cannot do it anymore. So I have questions, observations, and projections.  I say, no more! Playing it safe does not pay the bills and is not fair to my desire to make something of this. Yeah, there are hoops to jump through. Anything worthwhile is like that. Insurance and permits, fees, and, of course, the biggest of them all, food safety. Yes, I am willing to do everything.  The Boys of Dungeon Lane was released yesterday. It is Paul McCartney's 27th album release since the Beatles ended. This man has played the notes of my soul every decade of my life. Just like learning from a family of 8 hiking the Appalachian Trail, or a Mom with 15 bio kids doing the same, Paul's determination, knowing that he still has more to do, is incredibly inspiring.  I am by no mea...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...