Skip to main content

The Culture of Respect

 As a novice food creator, I have met people who do what I do to one degree. There is a comforting humility that I can identify with. I think of them as so much more than I am. I am startled when I realize that they think of me in some ways the same, in the context of each owning our particular strengths. It is then that gaining friendships like these is very important. We need each other, and the world needs our collaboration.

We all carry a piece of the story. Commercial merry-go-rounds have nothing on us. It is learning about them through the food they create and the goals they wish to obtain. I agree that we all need those willing to go one hundred thousand dollars or more in debt to throw the dice loaded in opposition to their success to start a delicious food business. Without their bravery, people like us could never have become self-aware of our creativity.

We are a community, past, present, and future. We support one another. It is a language and something that must be earned. At first, if we have a chip on our shoulder, we are dead to those who spent many sleepless years mustering a good attitude even when they were handled rudely, the many burns and cuts endured, the smoke and sweat, and mismatched acknowledgment. There are times when nothing makes sense.

But there is something inside that makes them go on. Here I am, someone who landed on the highway through a most fortunate mishap in which I jumped the guard rail and lived to tell about it. I hope that I am humble enough to be accepted. I do my best to shut up and listen. 

If I had my way, I would live the next 3 years with families in other countries and just live as they do, under their rules. One year in Vietnam, one year in South Korea, and finally, a year in Japan before traveling back across the Pacific to allow all of the respect I learned to shine in my creativity and words. But that is just a dream. How can I get as close to that experience as possible without actually that happening? That is what I am still trying to figure out.

All I know is that I must move forward. That is all. I will figure out the rest and hopefully make some friends and even some family along the way.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...

The thin line between hiking and cooking

   I knew I should have prepped the cabbage last night. Instead of razor-thin shavings of bright green cabbage, I opened the cooler and there they were, two green bowling balls without the holes. But, hey, I am good with a knife. I am not stupid-fast, more like efficient. I got this. My one-hour lunch excursion into the culinary burst of what I view Fight4Taste to mean could happen. Right? All along there was a song playing in the background, come on Gen-X sing it if you know it..."A THREE HOUR TOURRRRRRRR!" Once the cabbage is shredded, it is evident I am in that episode of the Twilight Zone in which time is moving at 6 times its natural speed. I note to myself, that the next time my hands are clean, there is an important call that I need to make. I step off the curb to work on the rest of the build and then, I am again transported 37 minutes into the future. If I were home, the projections meet the reality and simply translate into a hungry family eating later, a kitchen be...