Skip to main content

What is all the fuss about?

 

What is all the fuss about?

 



Well, I finally did it. I finally ordered the McRib sandwich at McDonalds this week. That is ironic because as a lifelong patron of Mc D's and my love for meat, especially pork, I would likely have had this experience already. After all, the Mc Rib was first introduced to the McDonald's dining world in 1982. I was 17 years old, for goodness sake! It was a time when the health impact of what I ate was never a factor I considered. Prime time to take the plunge if you ask me.

The Google AI Overview states that the Mc Rib sandwich is made of a boneless pork patty shaped like a rack of ribs, barbecue sauce, onions, and pickles on a toasted bun. The patty is made from ground pork shoulder, water, salt, dextrose, and rosemary extract.

I could tell the pork was pork shoulder merely by the fat-to-meat ratio. It might also be precooked under pressure, adding to its tenderness. I liked the onions on it because I like raw onions on sandwiches, whether hot or cold. 

As I ate this and let the initial differences between this and the other McDonald's sandwiches dissipate, I started to pick up on a hollowness to the flavor that I could not quite identify. It is that imbalance you feel when the acid content is just a little too high and then lacks umami.

GAI states that the Mc Ribb is a favorite among McDonald's loyalists. It also states, "The McRib has been removed from the menu permanently multiple times but has returned for limited-time appearances. McDonald's uses a scarcity tactic to keep customers interested. 

I get it; if this sandwich were available all the time, it would indeed be the cause of its own demise because it is missing something important. When I realized this, eating the last bit of it in my truck the other day during lunchtime, I realized I had to make my own. 

I was not alone when I decided to look up this comet-like occurrence-ish sandwich. The internet is peppered with others making their version of this facsimile legend. So yeah, I am going to join the ranks of those who say, "McDonald's, it has been fun, but come on, that was a one-way trip for me." I can do better, and so can many others.  

This January, a worthy project will be to make this classic girl myself and perhaps make it a family favorite like I did with my version of Chili's Southwest Eggrolls or Applees Mini Chicken Asian Taco Sliders. What then about our old girl, the McRib? By January, I am sure that she caught Katy just like she always does. After all, she is from Kansas City.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...

The thin line between hiking and cooking

   I knew I should have prepped the cabbage last night. Instead of razor-thin shavings of bright green cabbage, I opened the cooler and there they were, two green bowling balls without the holes. But, hey, I am good with a knife. I am not stupid-fast, more like efficient. I got this. My one-hour lunch excursion into the culinary burst of what I view Fight4Taste to mean could happen. Right? All along there was a song playing in the background, come on Gen-X sing it if you know it..."A THREE HOUR TOURRRRRRRR!" Once the cabbage is shredded, it is evident I am in that episode of the Twilight Zone in which time is moving at 6 times its natural speed. I note to myself, that the next time my hands are clean, there is an important call that I need to make. I step off the curb to work on the rest of the build and then, I am again transported 37 minutes into the future. If I were home, the projections meet the reality and simply translate into a hungry family eating later, a kitchen be...