Skip to main content

It's Where You Shine

 A little bit of salt takes something unseen and makes it an experience. The complexities of contemporary cooking lie in the mentality of recipes, the absence of recipes, cookware, kitchen appliances, tools, and attitude. It is a little about any of the above and more about the need. 


Need has brought the spice to life in the last thousand years. Once those crusaders of the sea and land got a taste of these things, they risked everything to taste once again. But even more so, the real creativity came from people having very few ingredients. Short growing seasons, famine, wars, and scarcity of ingredients forced people to make what was known as poor people's food. From these, culinarily significant dishes were born. Nothing has taken food to a higher level than the so-called "lower decks."

Wouldn't it be fun to take a journey, trying and making these foods that have shaped the culinary world? Braising of tough meats, brining of poultry that would otherwise present dry, fermentation that harnesses nature and gives birth to health, flavor, and preservation. All of these seem like magic that flips the compass in the opposite direction that it was pointing. Knowing how these can be used will never leave you hungry and, even better, richly satisfy the palate.

Last night I set out to make Joshua Weissman's fish tacos from "An Unapologetic Cookbook". I am currently not home, so my Asian kitchen staples are not with me. That alone gave me an idea that I have tried many times and was not all that successful, and now I have figured out how to have those in my cooking toolbox. Literally, a toolbox.


I did shop for this recipe, but being at a camp, I was not going to re-buy every staple I have at home just to hit the mark. So with lots of improvising, I would ask myself at each juncture when faced with some ingredient deficit, "What am I trying to achieve here for flavor?" Sorting through the camp supplies, I solved each problem, and in the end, I did indeed have fried fish tacos, with cabbage, carrot, and onion slaw, a spicy crema, and pickled jalapenos.

The point to this is, I have heard people say, and I have told myself, I cannot make this because I don't have everything the recipe requires." That is simply not true. Something can happen; sometimes it is good, and sometimes it's not. Last night my crema was over salted (you have to be so careful when not working with your specific salt and the form it comes in.) But the food was great!  Need makes it happen. 

I got two things from this fish taco dinner. First, it was a great dinner. Second, I've come up with a simple way to carry my staples on a tiny scale, requiring no effort and creating no waste.

The next time you think there isn't enough to make something happen, don't let that stop you. I don't care if the meal comes out nothing like the one that you had in mind to begin with. Remember that having a need is not where you fail, but it's where you shine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

As You Lie There

 I am sick and tired of inaction. I am calling myself out. I have a well-tested talent for creating delicious food, and I stop short of the starting line. How many years will I allow this to slide by? I really cannot do it anymore. So I have questions, observations, and projections.  I say, no more! Playing it safe does not pay the bills and is not fair to my desire to make something of this. Yeah, there are hoops to jump through. Anything worthwhile is like that. Insurance and permits, fees, and, of course, the biggest of them all, food safety. Yes, I am willing to do everything.  The Boys of Dungeon Lane was released yesterday. It is Paul McCartney's 27th album release since the Beatles ended. This man has played the notes of my soul every decade of my life. Just like learning from a family of 8 hiking the Appalachian Trail, or a Mom with 15 bio kids doing the same, Paul's determination, knowing that he still has more to do, is incredibly inspiring.  I am by no mea...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...