The Endless Winter

Winter used to mean that you had an excuse to stay in and cook.  While this is still true the cold and the pounding of snow have me concerned with how much weight has accumulated on the roof, why the oil lights are coming on in 2 of 3 of our vehicles. (The 3rd not having this trouble since it is parked in the garage with stuff piled behind it and sporting a flat tire).



Despite the unwanted distractions, I cook.  This past weekend I made Alex Guarnaschelli's Stuffed White Mushroom Caps.  I have made stuffed mushrooms many times, but I love the vermouth in both the cap and the stuffing.  I usually use a White Zin, but  this was nicer.  She used sour cream and when I stuffed the caps, I realized I had much more for something else.  There were a couple of center cut pork chops in the fridge, so I cut pockets into them and stuffed them with the sour cream filling.  Although the main course was grilled steak that night, I know that in the future, crafting a stuffing I would like to do the stuffing as the center point and perhaps do 3 different components of the meal with a variation of the same stuffing.

Comments

Popular Posts