Skip to main content

Food, Libraries and Adventures Still Rule


Last night we did took a culinary journey to Africa.  This was done because despite the Internet and Kindle and iPhones etc, we still go to the library.  (We do not have iPhones or a Kindle, but I do have a disconnected cell pone that I carry as a stopwatch, flashlight and iPod, but that's not important right now).

There is nothing like finding a book at the library and embarking on the tactile journey into enlightenment.  This is even better when it involves cooking.  My Wife Donna found the book Passport on a Plate by Diane Simone Vezza.  A Round-the-World cookbook for children.  My son's love to cook, create and generally make huge messes in the kitchen, just like me.


Donna and Liam decided to chose African food last night.  Three recipes in all.  The first was luku (Chicken Stew)  It is an Ethiopian Dish.  I am not going to go into detail since Liam is going to be blogging about this himself.  This is a very inexpensive dish to make and is mild tasting which gives it a great home in a cookbook for children.  And yes, those are hard-boiled eggs in with the chicken.  I may have thought at first that they would be out of place, but they certainly were not.

The next recipe was from Nigeria called Akara (Black-eyed Pea Balls).  As you can see, they did not retain the shape of balls but were delicious nonetheless.  The book stated that these are often eaten with sweet custard.  I realized as we had a whole bunch of cilantro that I had not done anything with, I quickly made 2 batches of cilantro pesto and 1 batch of Avocado Cilantro Mayonnaise.  These were awesome dipped in either of these.  The balls consisting of beans, cayenne, onion had nice rich almost meatiness about them.


Avocado Cilantro Mayonnaise is NOT African, but it is one of those things that can work on many international dishes.  It is the design of the finest Mexican chef in the universe, Rick Bayless and is a regular staple and the Frontera Grill, Topolobampo and Frontera Fresco all in Chicago.  It is a simple mixture of 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro, 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and one mashed avocado.  I have yet to find something that this does not taste good on!




The third recipe that Donna and Liam chose was, a Nigerian Fruit Salad.  This was mixed with a nice blend of fruit and seasonings then baked in the oven to draw the sweetness of the fruit to the forefront.  Everything was very good and what a nice adventure for a Wednesday night.  I think I overheard that the next adventure is going to be Russia.  It is a great way for your child to explore social studies by creating and tasting the food that children from other parts of the world eat.  I kind of wonder if the version of this book on the other side of the world has miscellaneous chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese and french fries for the American recipes.  Can I please say that I am from some other country?  Although Donna did have a box of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese on stand by in case the boys did not like the African food!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

As You Lie There

 I am sick and tired of inaction. I am calling myself out. I have a well-tested talent for creating delicious food, and I stop short of the starting line. How many years will I allow this to slide by? I really cannot do it anymore. So I have questions, observations, and projections.  I say, no more! Playing it safe does not pay the bills and is not fair to my desire to make something of this. Yeah, there are hoops to jump through. Anything worthwhile is like that. Insurance and permits, fees, and, of course, the biggest of them all, food safety. Yes, I am willing to do everything.  The Boys of Dungeon Lane was released yesterday. It is Paul McCartney's 27th album release since the Beatles ended. This man has played the notes of my soul every decade of my life. Just like learning from a family of 8 hiking the Appalachian Trail, or a Mom with 15 bio kids doing the same, Paul's determination, knowing that he still has more to do, is incredibly inspiring.  I am by no mea...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...