What's normal Anyway?

One of my friends at work today said, I don't think you guys eat anything normal. At first that is an easy statement to accept , but as I think about it it makes me realize why I am cooking in the first place. I actually want the food that I am cooking to become my normal. If I can see the progression of Trying a recipe and progressing to getting good at it and developing my own style then I can own it. Then i have acheived normal.
Bibimbap is like that for me. In a subliminal quest to eat better I need the flavors to be like snapping life out of the jaws of death! people like George Stella and Juan Carlos on the Food Network told us many years ago that if we wanted to change our diet we could actually enjoy food even after you've made drastic changes to improve your health. I think we do eat normally. Eating a box of Kraft Mac and cheese (which I did try a forkful one time) would be the weirdest most NOT normal thing I could eat. So, what is "normal"? It is different for all of us. Whenever there is a potluck type meal at work, I love this because it allows us to see the diversity of our friends through the food they bring. I know there is the occasional person who could care less about food and when they bring in a super size bag of Cool Ranch Doritos, so like there is collateral damage in any worthy investment. Korean food amazes me because it is enjoyed and shared as a celebration of life, it's achievements, friends, family, and praises the differences in everything. Here is to those differences. May they continue to flavor our lives.

Comments

Popular Posts