Skip to main content

The Unquiet Earth

  There are so many moments when you pull back the expectation, 

after not seeing the lights approaching from around the corner for what seems to be an eternity. 

The breaking of the elevated self over and over. 

Punches, self-inflicted. 

Overconstruction, self-inflicted.

 The question no one can ask, 

Do we break their spirit when they are young? 

Or do we let them fall?  

I am all for the fall.

I was expecting results that cannot exist in reality.

So were you.

I wanted to shake you from your delusion.

The walls we make for ourselves

The reality is, the fall comes with so much more flavor.

It is the spice of barriers lifting, fences falling, chains falling away.

What will you do when you are left out on the lonely road?

There is no light to see the way.

The wind is there, more fierce in the darkness, but is it really?

The pieces, spread out upon the surface, rise from the dark.

The orchestra builds to a beautiful introduction.

Photo by Joecalih on Unsplash

The aromatics begin weaving through the kitchen, finding all breaches.

They will sell you out.

Good or bad, they have called you.

Your days are numbered, and here in front of the fire is your moment.

What will you do?

The silhouette stands before the light, wondering what to do.

Lost dreams and broken thoughts, he wonders why that is.

He grips his awareness, swearing to himself that he can turn and burn.

Oil, aromatics, and vaporization join at the crossroads.

He stands before it, conducting as he is consumed in the wok hei.

The momentum builds, and he gives thanks for his mise en place.

The dance begins, and it must not stop.

One misstep and it feels like he will plummet to the ground far below, 

The reality is that he has a few tricks that he does not know about.

The striking of metals grows louder;

another night's nourishment is born.

On the surface, before this dance, no one knew, and the land was quiet.

Something deep within was awakened a long time ago, 

and although hidden, it could do nothing but be known.

You gave away your position, 

You sold yourself out.

It never matters because you know,

You will do it again and again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

As You Lie There

 I am sick and tired of inaction. I am calling myself out. I have a well-tested talent for creating delicious food, and I stop short of the starting line. How many years will I allow this to slide by? I really cannot do it anymore. So I have questions, observations, and projections.  I say, no more! Playing it safe does not pay the bills and is not fair to my desire to make something of this. Yeah, there are hoops to jump through. Anything worthwhile is like that. Insurance and permits, fees, and, of course, the biggest of them all, food safety. Yes, I am willing to do everything.  The Boys of Dungeon Lane was released yesterday. It is Paul McCartney's 27th album release since the Beatles ended. This man has played the notes of my soul every decade of my life. Just like learning from a family of 8 hiking the Appalachian Trail, or a Mom with 15 bio kids doing the same, Paul's determination, knowing that he still has more to do, is incredibly inspiring.  I am by no mea...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...