Skip to main content

Hammer Girl does it again!

Emily Kim is a phenomenal Korean home cook, who has a knack for teaching. Better known by her web name "Maangchi" ("Hammer" in Korean). She never intended to become the Korean cooking sensation, but with guidance from children, she posted her first YouTube cooking video using her gaming name. This led to another them another. Now 9 years later, Maangchi has 288 videos posted and has more than 1,317,204 YouTube subscribers, more than Martha Stewart, Alton Brown, Ree Drummond and Ina Garten combined. She is widely loved by her fans. Her recipes really work. Tonight I made her Honey butter fried chicken. It was beautiful. . Not only are her recipes easy to understand, create and eat, but her organization is easy and light weight. When I made the chicken, it was so easy to keep every thing in one bowl and then clean as i went.
Culinarily Maangchi is the greatest thing that has happened to me in a long time. I have learned that it doesn't matter how young or old you are. Seize your dream! She is 59 now and doing so well she had to quit her job several years ago to do this full time. Obviously, i am not interested in YouTube being a centerpiece of my life, I only wish to use it as a tool for the big picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universal Antagonist

There is an underrated movie from 1967 called “The Presidents Analyst”. It tells the story of a presidents analyst who cannot talk with anyone about what he knows. This creates more anxiety than he can deal with. It leads to catastrophic paranoia. In the meantime, various government agencies are trying to kill him. The phone company (a unit with the same power as Facebook, google, and other large personal data collecting monsters) wants what he knows to further their cause of power. He ends up being  protected by a suburban “Liberal” family that has more guns the the “right wing wackos” they are protecting themselves from. With many crazy mind bending plot twists  that were  common in the movies of the late 60’s, the kind that Austin Powers liked to spoof, in the end, the main character realizes the “it’s the phone company” behind all of the evil in their lives, behind all the evil in the world. Hollywood was serious about their message in an insane package. This movie wa...

You try to appear to fit in but not too much, because then you don’t.

It is funny how airports can bring the humanity of humanity to the surface, but also pretend that it is not really there. There is a feeling of aloneness while being immersed in a sea of other people. I feel other people’s emotions without even trying, so this is a very serious thing I experience. It can be hard to sort out, but just like everything else I remember that each of them has their own brand of trivial stress. The trivialness is temporary because when sitting in an airport waiting for a flight, certain daily concerns peel away like an onion skin. This is because mortality gets sprinkled onto our essence like a deep savory spice. It’s just enough to make you appreciate you daily life. I can’t tell you how many times I have looked around at the people at my departure gate and thought, “if this were the series LOST, what roles would each of us take should we end up on that island." Searching faces, I perceive where they fit into the story. This is what happens when you acc...

The passing of seasons

  I always thought it would be easier living after the cats were gone. We were always saying that we were not going to do it again. Very smugly taking beautiful things for granted. Even Donna said, we just did not understand how exceptional they were. Lava's final cries in pain were of death itself, I just know it, and they were the most harrowing sound I have ever heard. It tears me to the core.  Doctor House was right though, there   is   no dignity in dying, we all do it alone and it's ugly and horrifically terrible. The only thing we can do is live with dignity.  Our daily numbness makes us not even do that so well. And in Goodbye, Farewell, Amen, there were light points of this and deep ones too. Even in hardship, we can take the good for granted. Hardship, well yes, it can have lasting effects. And that is on a chemical level. I heard a summary of societal decade disintegration. I know this all means something yet I am losing the drive to put the idea into...